Friday, February 17, 2006

M.A.D.

I was just watching Bill Maher and he brought up something that has always bothered me: the hypocrisy of the world's nuclear powers.

By what right can the US and the other nuclear powers say Iran can't have nukes? We can have nukes because we are so good and would never use it (although we want that option) but you? You can't be trusted.

This is especially hypocritical in the case of the US. The most vocal nation on this topic, one that went to war on the possibility that Iraq might have nukes, is the only one that has used nuclear weapons. You may say it was necessary (I would disagree) and yet the fact of the matter is the US did commit two horrific acts using nuclear weapons.

So why does the US have the authority to rebuke Iran and North Korea and every country that tries to obtain nukes? Precisely because it is a nuclear power. Because of its military and economic power (which it owes at least partly due to its nuclear arsenal) the US can keep nukes away from the other kids.

But there's one nuclear power the US is ambivalent about. The exception is Israel. Because of all volatile situations in the world, Israel needed to have nukes. None of its enemies can have them, that would be dangerous.

Essentially the logic seems to be "I got this toy first, I'm not gonna share except with my friends". And this is a toy no one should have.

Disclaimer: Don't think I want Iran or N. Korea to have nukes. Quite the opposite. I want every nuclear country to disarm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home